Sunday, February 13, 2011

Yeh kya ho raha hai....

It was a Saturday morning, when these lines struck me for the first time. i was standing inside the post office and....

Flashback (1990's and early 2000):
Instance# 1:
Me: Why dont you invest in property and share market. They yield high returns and are more profitiable than your FD's and NSC's.
Dad: There is huge risk in share market and bank FDs are more safe.
Me: Come on Dad, the entire world invests in share market, it is a much better option to invest in there and earn some money. Look at Fufaji, he invests all his money in shares and is filthy rich.
Dad: When you earn, you can invest in share market. I am happy with my FDs and NSCs.
Me: I sure will. These FDs and post office monthly schemes are of no good. In six years the money is not even doubled.
And i maintained this thought process till i turned 29!

Today (2011)
Me: Dad, which offers better returns, post office monthly schemes or bank RD (Recurring deposit) account?

Instance# 2:
A kid in the society i live in, is a school going kid (probably in his boards) and has a kinetic honda gifted by his parents for his tutions and as his father is mostly on touring job, he probably takes care of house hold chores as well. Now as any young teenager, he drives it around like mad, fast, risky, doind stunts. I couldnt bear it after a few instances and told him one day, "beta, thodi aaram se chalaya karo, chot lag jaayegi nahi to kissi din!"
Reply: Arre, kuch nahi hoga uncle!
And i was thinking like, iske papa se bolunga ki isse samjhaaye!

Oye, yeh kya ho raha hai... What happened to me?

Post office schemes that would yield me 7.5% GAURANTEED RETURNS! Papa se bolunga ki isse samjhaaye!
Yeh sab to uncle log karte hai yaar... mein to abhi sirf...
oops! now how do i say this, "mein to abhi sirf 30 ka hua hoon!!!!"

kab hua yeh transition, mujhe nahi pata. Kab mein share market ki glamorous duniya ko chod kar post office ki dull life mein khush hone laga... Kab mein 90kmph ki speed par chalane waala, 70kmph ko tez samajhne laga. The share market must be probably smiling (rather laughing) at me as i fill the post office form with my credentials.

I dont know, i dont have answers to these questions. Narsimha jaisa feel kar raha hoon... Half young, half old!
I guess i would go catch that movie launched recently (satrring gul pananag).
What was its name?
Yeah... turning 30!

3 comments:

Abhinav Singh said...

Well written
Even I am going through the same phase, after conquering the expressway many times, i dont drive faster than 70.

Also, i have invested ZERO rupees in stocks in the last 2 years.(except in a few really good(read boring) MFs through SIP).

I think everyone goes through all this and it is a right way.
As we grow (skip OLD :( ) we tend to take less risks, be it investing or on roads.

We all change, and in this way we change for better...

storymaker said...

The story has just started dude. You will see your son living your life, and you like your dad. As they say it, what goes back, comes back...and in case of bad habits... it comes back with compound interest ;-).

Do not think this as a sarcasm, but it is a reality I go through as parent. On the contrary, now I understand why it is important to have good habits. Not just for myself, but through our genomes, it transmits to generations.

And, now I try hard to learn good habits, because now I am being watched as a role model.

Serendipity said...

comment de rahe ho ya dara rahe ho!... :-D